Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hawaiian Pot Roast

Hi everyone, sorry that I haven’t written for a while. I have moved into a new home and all that entails. Now I have settled into a place with a nice small kitchen that fulfills my needs. As before, my focus is to learn and practice healthy eating.

As the cool November air leads us into winter it is time to serve hot meals. A crock pot is a wonderful kitchen appliance for preparing meals; just chop things up at night and start the slow cooker in the morning; by evening you will have a delicious dinner served hot and easy.

Today I made Hawaiian pot roast. Starting with a nice roast that I picked up on sale for $16, I cut the roast into large cubes. Then I chopped up potatoes, yams and onions into bite size pieces along with minced garlic. Finally I added a can of pineapple rings, juice included. Pineapple contains natural enzymes that help tenderize meat. Some extra water was added to ensure early coverage. At the end, separate the liquid and add some flour or corn starch to thicken into gravy.

Though my crock pot is large, I had enough food for two full pots. The first will be served for dinner and leftovers, the second will cook overnight and go into the freezer. For a total cost of $22 there will be twelve healthy meals; less than $2 each. Get a crock pot today and start making easy cost-effective stews and soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment